From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 10:21:09 -0600
I'm writing this from home, so I don't have my big black book of NCAA
rules available (it IS Saturday) but on request will find the citations

1.  Scholarships are renewed (or not renewed) every year for every
    student athlete in every sport.  We have a situation where two
    of our student athletes were not renewed (about 2 weeks ago) and
    i have the cite in some paperwork at the office.

2.  I understand the school will be offering jason an academic
    scholarship so he can, if he so desires, remain in school.  Should he
    do so, i believe he'll receive a high quality education.

3.  My understanding, again from the published media reports only since
    i've been out of town, is that jason will not be playing hockey at
    colorado college.  I suspect there is little he can do about that.
    Clearly Coach Lucia has made a decision and the coach has every right
    (and even a responsibility) to do what (s)he thinks best for the
    team.

4.  Under NCAA rules, should Jason choose to transfer to another school,
    there is a year delay in when he can play.  That is to say that he
    would apparently need to sit during the 1998-99 season.  However,
    a)  there are several exceptions to the transfer rule and a variety
        of vehicles to waive that one year sit out (anybody want me to
        look them up, send me private e-mail)
    b)  student athletes have 5 years in which to use 4 seasons of eligibility
        so jason could conceviably go elsewhere, sit a year, and then
        play 2 more years (akin to a junior college transfer in terms of
        playing time)

note that i'm not taking any sides here, just trying to lay out some
facts.

         charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 262-3492      (fax) 262-3369          http://www.cs.uccs.edu/~cdash