From:
Emmitt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emmitt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:48:48 -0600
On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Ben Flickinger wrote:

Ben,
        I know from your postings here and on USCHO that you are a
devoted UNO fan.  Your school has made some impressive strides recently,
especially in football (you tromped my beloved Sioux 2 years ago).  But I
think you need some perspective on the Mavs and the WCHA.

        Why should the league let in UNO right away?  The thing I keep
hearing is attendance.  But that was all sold out well in advance, and
arguably as a novelty.  Let's see what kind of attendance there is 2 or 3
years down the road when the team is struggling (and they will
struggle).  The Lancers long sellout streak recently ended and from what
I've heard, UNO's sellouts weren't all bodies in the seats variety.
Perhaps Omaha has now reached a hockey saturation point.

        As to why Mankato is further along in the process, they've been
trying to get in the league for about five years, if not more.  They've
actually been playing for fifty.  They also have a brand new arena and
are indeed close to several existing teams.  They also seem more willing
to play the game (polically, not on the ice) and aren't as pushy as UNO.

        I'm a little leery of expansion bringing in smaller schools (this
coming from someone who goes to a smaller school).  At least North Dakota
has been in the big time of hockey for a long time and has the mindset of
Divisions I.  It's a big step that Mankato, UNO, and possibly Bemidji and
making.  I think they need time to prove they are committed, otherwise we
will have Kent St. and UIC all over again.  For this reason, I like that
the WCHA is moving cautiously.  I would hope the fans in Omaha would
understand and respect that reasoning.

Vindy
Let's Drop the Puck