From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 16:30:09 -0500
When I have watched those events, the score of the current game is the
only one posted, and they usually announce what the aggregate score is at
the end of the periods (with the shots on goal info).

It makes for a bizarre feeling to both nights, as you know something is
hanging over the match.  Also people coming for just the second night, and
who aren't that into hockey get the sense that something else is afoot
when the crowd reacts differently to the second night score than you would
predict.

I like it a lot, because you're always in it, right up until the end of
the second game.  A 5-10 minute spell of magic anytime can give you the
overall win.  I see why defensive types are not thrilled with it.  I can
well remember a Women's Beanpot where the home coach went with as short a
game as possible (15-18 minute periods), just so they didn't have to hold
off the other superior team for too long.  And it worked!  Twice!

The times I have seen 2-game total-goal at Yost and Bright, the games were
so good.  Neither side gave in or formed the student body wall, as goals
were what was needed.  And it could happen at any time, which is what
makes it so marvelous.  Some of the best individual performance happened
during those series.

OK, Greg - I know you're ready to throw me off the FleeceCenter - I'll
stop.  I can dream, can't I?  If I say I don't like the away goals count
double idea does that help?

/
 good shooting
 hungerf