From:
"Eric J. Burton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric J. Burton
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:55:14 -0600
                         THE SIN-BIN
                     By Eric J. Burton
                 The "Fabulous Sports Goon"
 Http://members.tripod.com/~unvarnished_truth/sinbin/sinbin.html

        WCHA Playoffs

        If the playoffs started today the pairing for the home series of the
WCHA playoffs would look like this Mankato State would travel to Grand Forks
play UND. Anchorage would travel to Saint Cloud to play the Huskies at
the National Hockey Center. Denver would invade Dade County Coliseum to
play the Badgers (I base this on head to head in total goals between the two
teams as SCSU beat Wisconsin 10-9). The Gophers who will have to travel
in the first round a feat that they have not been accomplished since the
late 1970's as they have to go back to Colorado College and play the Tigers
again where they were swept last weekend. The Tech Huskies would play the
Dawgs in Duluth.
        After the first found home series this is the teams I would pick
to advance to the So here are the teams that I predict that would
advance to final five in Milwaukee, UND, SCSU, Denver, Colorado College and
Michigan tech. The reason I pick Denver is that I feel they are ripe for an
upset, and Wisconsin has stumbled down the stretch.

        Ice Chips

*UND hockey Fans don't forget to send UND athletic director Terry Wanless an
E-mail about womens College hockey, his E-mail address is
[log in to unmask], seems that there quite a few people interested
in women's college hockey. I think it would be interesting to see the
Lady Sioux and Gophers face off in womens WCHA hockey...

*Former Fighting Sioux hockey player Dave Christian is now the coach of
the Fargo Moorhead Ice sharks who took over the head coaching job with 8
games remaining in the final season.

*Former Sioux hockey player Landon Wilson was recalled from Providence
Of the AHL to the Boston Bruins of the NHL. Wilson has played 9 games this
year and has recorded one assist.

* Former SCSU Great Matt Cullen of the Ducks scored his third goal of the
year Sunday night as the Ducks lost to the St. Louis Blues 6-2. It would
be interesting to see where SCSU would be sitting in the standing if they
had this guy.

        This week's Predictions

**University of Wisconsin at UND, earlier this season freshman Kevin
Granato made the statement that Wisconsin was a better team. The Sioux kept
those words posted on the team bulletin board during the week of practice,
then went on to sweep the Badgers for the first time since 1987, since that
series both teams have gone in different directions. The Sioux winning
the WCHA regular season title and the Badger barely holding on to second.
Look for this game to be a hard fought series as the Badger must win if
they want to make their case for an NCAA tournament selection.

**Gophers and Huskies in the I-94 series. Look for a tough series as the
Huskies will sweep the Gophers in two 4-3 games.

**MTU at Colorado College, look for the Tigers to play like they have
soar paws, as they will sweep the Huskies.

**UMD at Denver, as they play the last two games of the WCHA regular season
Sunday and Monday, I expect a tough season ending series at the Pioneers
split with the Bull Dogs.

**Buy your WCHA homes series tickets, Good luck and have a good weekend
of WCHA hockey.