Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 20:56:10 +0000
>I am in agony!
Me too!

In the last half of the season Miami is displaying one of the greatest
nose dives in college hockey history.  They are 5-7-4 in '98 after a
13-3-0 start.  Miami has fallen to fifth in the CCHA and out of home
ice for the playoffs.  They are very close to taking themselves out of
a NCAA tournament bid.  A recent loss to Bowling Green (last place in
the CCHA) occurred when Miami gave up a shorthanded goal with less
than two minutes in the game!

So what is going on here?  Injuries?  Doesn't appear to be.  Senior
defenseman Todd Rohloff has been out of the lineup about 2 months and
is lost for the season with a wrist injury.  He was a team captain and
a solid defenseman.  Other than him, they have no significant injuries
that I can think of.  Some players have sat out a various games due to
team violations and such.  No major suspensions though.

What else could it be?  Strength of schedule?  Could be.  Lately,
their schedule seems to be against stronger teams.  But they have
mixed results against strong and weak teams.  Wins against New
Hampshire, Michigan, and Northern Michigan and a tie with Michigan St.
contrast with loses against Bowling Green, Ferris St., and Western
Michigan.  This points towards inconsistent play, and that, to me, is
a mental thing.

Another factor: to win games you have to score more points than the
other team.  To do that you have to take shots.  It is a rare game
when Miami outshoots their opponent.  Miami's style of play does not
generate a lot of shots for them.  As a team they are usually smaller
in size than other teams and try to rely on quickness to get the puck
to the goal.  They try a lot of dumping and chasing, and skating the
puck around defenseman to the net.  Other teams have been successful
in neutralizing this with speed and strong checking.  When Miami can
skate the puck in deep they usually try to dump it back out in the
slot, usually to a waiting defenseman.  You rarely see much passing or
crossing as Miami brings the puck across the blue line.  I don't know
if Mazzoleni is coaching this style or where it comes from.  The
limited success they've had with it seems now to be well defended.
I'd like to see a different strategy.

Could it be they aren't that good after all?  It may appear so and
it's starting to show in the ratings.  Nothing like a fan like me
kicking a team when its down.

Anyway, Miami has one game with Ohio State and two with Bowling Green
remaining.  So far they are a combined 1-2-0 against them.  I hope
they can rebound and finish strong.

michael bohler