From:
"Mark J. Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark J. Hill
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 21:05:36 -0500
The officiating in this game was certainly not the best I've ever seen, but it was also far from the worst.  This was not, however, a game in which the refs decided the outcome.  Many times during the game I found myself wondering what some of the players (from BOTH teams) were thinking.  I did see Heffler interfere with a Cornell player behind the net, and I did see a Cornell player leave his bench to visit the SLU players on theirs.  In the end, both teams had many opportunities to win.

This appeared to be a game in which a 10th place team had something to prove to the league and the defending champs.  Each time Cornell was gaining momentum, the Saints did everything they could to slow the game down.  They did their very best to dictate the tempo, and obviously were successful.  It was not a pretty game from the middle of the 2nd to the end, but it was not *dirty*.  Yes, it was tricky, but I didn't see any attempts to injure other players, etc. etc.

After seeing the Saints lose more than their fair share of 1 goal games this season, I'm glad the intensity is still there.  Perhaps they are beginning to understand what it takes to win, especially on the road!

Mark Hill
SLU 96