From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 19:53:38 -0600
The Minnesota Golden Gophers improved their record to 15-5-3 with two
wins over the University of Manitoba Bisons (who are now 22-10-4, 6-4
against inter-collegiate opposition). On Friday, the Gophers won 3-0;
Saturday's score was 5-1.

On Friday, Manitoba came out nervous. It was clear that they were in awe
of their surroundings. Nadine Muzzerall put the Gophers on the board at
3:25 of the first period with her 23rd goal of the season. The first
period was all Gophers. They outshot Manitoba 14-5. The second and third
periods were more even, but with the same result. Nadine Muzzerall scored
her second of the game at 7:55 of the second period on the power play.
Ambria Thomas scored at 7:42 of the third to cement the win. For the
game, Minnesota outshot Manitoba 37-17. Friday's game stars were
Muzzerall, who had two goals and an assist; Kris Scholz, who had three
assists and Manitoba goalie Pam Staples, who had 34 saves.

On Saturday the Bisons came out stronger, and took a 1-0 lead at 15:06
of the first. With Pam Staples pulled for a delayed penalty, Maria M'Lot
took a rebound and put it over Erica Killewald. It looked like Manitoba
would take that lead into the dressing room, but Ambria Thomas tied the
game for Minnesota with 2.4 seconds left in the period.

Ambria Thomas gave Minnesota the lead 32 seconds into the second period.
That goal, combined with the late goal after the first, severely
demoralized the Bisons. Minnesota controlled the play for most of the
last 40 minutes. Brittny Ralph gave the Gophers an insurance goal at
10:49 of the third. Nadine Muzzerall and Angela Borek added to the
victory margin with goals late in the third.

Betsey Kukowski of Minnesota was the first star, with three assists. Pam
Staples of Manitoba was second, with 44 saves. Matty Brekken of the
Gophers was third, with one goal.

Minnesota was clearly the better team on the weekend. On many occasions
Manitoba was unable to get anything going. Manitoba's top line was held
to a combined total of seven shots over the two games. Their defence was
quite strong. They pass well, and do take advantage of the Olympic-sized
ice surface. It seems, though, that the good ship Gopher is still piloted by
the Scholz-Muzzerall-Thomas line. Shutting them down may be the key to
shutting down Minnesota. Minnesota's weakness is the ability to finish.
With better touch around the net, they could easily have destroyed
Manitoba.

On a personal level, we were treated exceedingly well by Minnesota's
organization. They are running a first-class operation down there, IMHO..

Mariucci Arena is quite impressive. I was particularly impressed by how they
are able to convey a sense of the history and tradition of Gopher men's
hockey while being in a new building. The press box is to die for. I
want to transfer! :-)

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards - [log in to unmask] - http://www.islandnet.com/~jedwards
      There are no stupid questions, only stupid people - Mr. Garrison