From:
Jeffrey Anbinder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 14:58:42 -0500
Brent said:
>         I guess I stand corrected by a whole lot of people :-)  Jeff, I
> apologize for my sarcasm, it was a rough night.

No apology necessary; it was a rough night for all of us.  I hope tonight
is much better.

> going to get. What with fish-throwing, booing injured players
> (Prestifilippo), and screaming at the coach when he argued with the ref
> after a particularly nasty Harvard injury, the Lynah fans could not have
> been helping their team's cause. One particularly intelligent fan (sorry,

I have to agree with you on one point; when there's a player down on the
ice with a possible injury, the fans need to shut up immediately.  One of
the several drawbacks to the students standing the entire game in
sections A, B, D and E is that some of them simply can't see what's going on.

But I'll disagree with you on another point; the particularly nasty
Harvard injury came only because of a miscalculation on the Harvard
player's part.  The player (Kimmer?  Kammer?  I'm drawing a blank
here...) attempted to check Stienstra into the boards deep in the Cornell
zone, but when Stienstra got out of the way, he wasn't able to pull up, and
hit the boards head-first.  I feel bad for the guy; he was flailing all
over the place and was obviously hurt.  But the no-call on Ammian's part
was entirely accurate and justified, and Tommasoni's insistence on a
penalty was wrong.

On the other hand, Tommasoni did make Ammian more alert for such things,
and about a minute later, a Harvard player *did* commit boarding on a
Cornell player, and got called for it.

Jeffrey