From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:29:26 +0000
To revise an earlier thread, we were discussing D1 hockey rivalries.
I said that Union considered RPI its biggest rival but RPI
did not reciprocate since Union's D1 history didn't go deep enough.
I also mentioned that one thing that would change all that was
another hard fought quarterfinal series between RPI and Union.
Little did I know how prophetic that statement was.
#5 Union visits #4 RPI this weekend and the only sure winner
will be college hockey in the Capital District. Union has been
one of the hottest teams in the country down the stretch and they couldn't
hope for a better matchup than this excpet for home ice. The
Houston Field House holds 5000+ and I predict that there will
be no home crowd advantage this weekend (Union being 10 miles down
road). One advantage RPI has going into this is that they managed
to overcome an end of the season slide (ties with VT, losses to Colgate,
Cornell and Yale) to beat a talented Princeton team on the road to
secure home ice on the last night of the regular season. Union on
the other hand finishes on a "disappointing" note. While they lost
a heartbreaker in OT to Princeton and grabbed an empty netter OT win
at Yale, they missed out on home ice the last weekend of the season.
While this may not seem like much, its got to be disappointing to a team
playing like Union has for the past 5-6 weeks. My only fear
is that, rather than being disappointed, Union will come in angry,
looking to prove a point. And when they see RPI, they'll see RED :-)

These games will be won by the best team, no one will let down this
weekend. This will be a war, and no matter which team wins,
the Capital District will be well represented in Lake Placid.
I'll take this opportunity to wish Union supporters good luck
(not too much luck, mind you) this weekend because these teams
are so evenly matched, it might take luck to decide the series.

By this team next week, the RPI / Union rivalry will have taken
several giant steps toward becoming a mutual rivalry.
And congratulations to the Union hockey team and coaching staff
for putting together one hell of a season.

But for now, let the contest begin!!!