From:
Bruce Hissong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Hissong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 13:50:52 -0500

>The following was posted to INFO-HOCKEY-L:
>On Sat, 1 Mar 1997, LONNIE CARPENTER wrote:
>
>>The Miami Redskins soundly outplayed the "Blue and Malaise" of Michigan
>
>Ahem.  The Wolverines outshot the Deadskins 32-20.  THe final Miami score was
>an empty-netter.
>
>>defeating them 4-2 in Oxford Ohio.
>
>The lone nugget of truth in your entire post.
>
>>The Redskins scored first and Michigan tried to play catch up the rest of
>>the game, never pulling even the entire night.
>
>Wrong.  Michigan tied it up in the first period.
>
>If you're going to post to INFO-HOCKEY-L, you might want to keep your opinion
>out of it, and post factual information.

Having attended the game, I have to agree with Lonnie.  The "Deadskins" were
anything but dead.  I thought Michigan played a decent game too, but it was
nowhere near their usual level of excellence.  They may have outshot Miami,
but Miami simply played a very hard, determined, and emotional game and came
out on top (btw, 32-20 was the number of saves, not shots on goal - if yer
gonna yell about someone not getting the facts right, make sure you do!).  I
also thought that Michigan lost their composure in the third period (Dale
Rominski swinging his stick at Josh Mizerek's head, and Luhning's run at
Boyle at the end of the game come to mind), which is also highly
uncharacteristic of them.

Having said that, I still think Michigan is the team to beat in the CCHA and
NCAA tournaments, although they'll need to show a lot more effort than they
did Sat. night.  I also think Miami will do well if they play as hard as
they did Sat. night.  As a die-hard CCHA fan, I'd like to see both teams in
Milwaukee!  It'll be a pleasure to watch Morrison, Botterill, and Co. one
last time before they move on.

                                                        Bruce Hissong
                                                        Miami '96