From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 19:52:44 -0400
At 1:36 PM -0600 2/12/97, Eeyore wrote:
> Joe Davison wrote:
>
> > There is more to the story, of course. Seems like Cornell was going to
> > challenge four more players sticks.
>
> > Gilligan was quoted on his weekly appearence on Hockey Talk, a weekly
> > local cable show about UVM hockey as stating that Cole used common sense
> > in putting an end to the march of the measurements.
>
> If this is the case, then if I were Cornell, I would have played the
> game under some sort of protest.
> Cole's
> decision to not enforce the rule bothers me.

We don't know that this was the case.  We only have hearsay to go on.
Let's not extrapolate from the rumor that Cornell wanted to challenge more
sticks to saying that Cole refused to enforce the rule unless we know this
for sure.  Without having seen what happened and without knowing Cole's
side, I do not think we can say that he did "put an end" to the challenges.
There are a number of other things that could have taken place, such as if
Cole thought that Cornell was stalling or grasping at straws (if they did
indeed wish to challenge more sticks).

BTW, I can find nothing in the rule book that says that only one challenge
at a time is permitted.  I would welcome followups from anyone who can cite
a rule.

Rule 3-1(e) does say that a minor and misconduct will be assessed if a
player intentionally breaks the stick before a measurement can be made.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****