From:
Scott Ayen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Ayen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 15:55:50 -0500
From the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Rulebook (1887) ....

Section 4 c.
    All players, including goalkeepers, are required to wear an internal
mouthguard that covers all the remaining teeth of one jaw.  The mouthguard
shall not be altered from original manufacturer specifications, except with
the prescription of a medical authority.
    For initial violation of this rule, the offending player will be
assessed a misconduct penalty and be replaced on the ice.  For a second
offense by the same player in the same game, a game misconduct penalty
shall be assessed.
    It is recommended that mandatory protective mouthguards be made from a
colored material for easy identification

Sorry to quote the rules but I think it needs clarification

Scott Ayen
SLU