From:
Nat Malen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nat Malen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 12:57:06 -0600
While reading the posts about NESN, I really find it hard to believe that
they are actually going through with this. You would think that the two
prime hockey areas of interest (the east coast and michigan to minnesota)
would have no problem gaining revenue for college hockey telecasts.  This is
especially evident for HOCKEY EAST, where there are many teams from the same
area (Boston, New Hamp., Maine).  These are in very close geographic
proximity compared to Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota who are
relatively more spread out over the midwest than hockey east teams are.

I see NESN's point about the lack of revenue, but at the same time, how do
MSC and PRIME maintain viewer interest and receive solid revenues?  Is the
situation with NESN and HOCKEY EAST case specific or wouldn't this situation
come up all over the country?

BTW, I don't have satellite access, but as many of us agree on, college
hockey needs television to stay halfway prominent in the sports world.  Are
BU and Maine going to be televised somewhere else?  I think I read from
Boston University and nothing for Maine.
Raises interesting questions in my mind.

Nat Malen
University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire