From:
"Jason W. Roy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason W. Roy
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:02:44 -0600
I have seen this floating around hockey-l and didn't give it too much
tought, but I'm bored and would like to make a commment....

Does defence or offence win hockey games.....Its been around since the
Montreal Canadians that defence wins....I would agree, but I would also
like to say the right combination of defence and offence wins.

example---New Jersey Devils --1994/95 Cup Winning team...won by mainly
using a defensive style (trap), but also had some offense....Guys like
Randy Mckay and Claude Lemieux stepped up offensively as well as defensively.
Martin Brodeur was solid in goal and the Devils won the cup.....

       ---New Jersey Devils --1995/96 --Non playoff team.......they still
played the same defensive style (trap) that helped tham win the cup...But
they didn't make the playoffs loosing to Ottawa on the last day of the
season. This team differed in one way from the cup winning team....they
had no offense...Guys weren't stepping up offensively.....Steve Thomas
led them in scoring and I think he had around 60 points (?) Bill Guerin
and John Maclean rounded out the top 3......Stephan Richer was a big
scorer the year before and in the playoffs but was about 7th or 8th in
scoring in 95/96.....

another thread talked about is who wins games GOALS or GOALIES.....again
stop your both right......Goalies can steal games for you.....but to win
you also have to be able to put the puck in the net.....

exaple---US/CANADA World Cup (GAME 3)...not starting a CAN/US war, but
Mike Richter stold game 3 for the US...The US was outplayed until late in
the 3rd.....Richter was almost in-human......he was amazing....Canada did
play the better game, but Richter played better than Joseph...not to say
that Joseph played bad, just Richter played that much better...Richter
stold the game.....he kept it close and the US got some timely goals at
the end of the game to win it....If Amonte and ??? didn't score the game
would have most likely been won by Canada.....I'm still pissed off at
Claude Lemieux for that stupid clearing attempt that led to the tying goal...

In conclusion......its hard to say what is more valuable Offence or
Defence or goals or goalies.....it depends on the team and the
situation.....Last years Dallas Stars, who were a defensive team didn't
make the playoffs....LAte in the year....Bob Gainey a defensive minded
coach stepped down and let Ken Hitchcock take over...Over the somer they
brought in some key players and are now playing Offensive....Last
Year---no playoffs.....this year they are 1st or 2nd in the Western
conference.........Its more complicated than offense vs Defence or Goals
vs Goalies.....They all tie together...and who ever has the right
combination usually wins....

       JASON ROY                   *     *                CBC's
 UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA             *   *         HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA
[log in to unmask]             * *         "The Tradition Continues"
         GO 21                        *
   GO TECH / GO CANADA               * *              Molson Canadian
        GO STARS                    *   *
      GO BILL BERG               ***     ***         The Tragically Hip
    A loose puck doesn't know who's....BigGeR, StRoNger, or DrAfTed hIgheR.
                       BUT IT KNOWS WHO GETS THERE FIRST.       (Bauer CANADA)