From:
Ron Correia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 00:42:49 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-10 08:41:46 EST, [log in to unmask] (Edward Moller)
writes:

> Note that BU goalie Michel Larocque was assessed with a triple minor, and
>  that the man serving the penalties, Shane Johnson, was hit with a DQ at
the
>  20:00 mark.  Can someone provide me with more details, and when was the
last
>  time a goaltender (or anyone for that matter) was given a triple minor?
>  How was Johnson chosen to serve Larocque's penalties when he was serving
>  his own double minor at 17:34?  Will Johnson's and Brendan Walsh's DQ's
> carry
>  over to Friday against Northeastern?

Larocque's triple minor was the result of his taking exception to a Friar
standing in the slot during a power-play.  Since no BU defensemen made any
move to clear the slot, Larocque took his stick to the Friar three times,
hence the three penalties.  Since I sit front row behind the net at
Schneider, I had a good view of the incident.  Had Taylor controlled the play
properly, the play would have been whistled dead *before* any lumberjacking
by Larocque since the Friar was standing in the crease at the time.

Johnson and Walsh picked up their DQ's for some incidents that occured during
the post-game handshake.  Being at ice level, I couldn't see what actually
happened through the crowd on the ice.  Once the dust settled, Pooley walked
over to one of the associate refs who waved him off and mouthed "I saw it."
 The AR skated over to
Taylor and the DQ's were assessed.  Yes, the game DQ will carry over to BU's
next game.

While I seldom criticize officials on this forum, I feel I must comment on
Taylor's handling of the third period.  Simply put, he miscalled or didn't
call several infractions that lead to this game getting out of hand.  The
first was a boarding call against PC's Sheppard.  This was a textbook case of
hitting from behind where Sheppard basically skated half the width of the
rink to nail a BU player from behind against the boards.  He was assessed
2:00 instead of the mandatory 5:00 and game DQ.  A similar incident involved
PC's Gill where he, too, was assessed 2:00 for boarding instead of a hit from
behind.  (In reality, he never touched the BU player who fell before the
check, but from Taylor's vantage point he couldn't see that.)  Since he felt
compelled to call the boarding, he really should have called a hit from
behind.  A third miscall (actually, a no call) involved a slash to the head
of a BU player.  I don't remember the Friar involved, but it occured in front
of Taylor and did not appear unintentional.  As a result of all this, the
quality of play continually degraded throughout the third period.  Both teams
are lucky a more serious brawl didn't ensue at the conclusion of the game.

-- Ron