From:
"Mr. Zero" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mr. Zero
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 14:41:42 -0500
On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Paul A. Troy wrote:

> All --
>
> Anyone in the Chicago area interested in showing support for the ol'
> hockey program at basketball's season opener???
>
> UIC basketball begins against UIUC (Fighting Illini) November 22nd
> at the UIC Pavilion. Yup, I'll be there with hockey jersey, hockey
> pants, puckhead hat and posters. If anyone would like to help,
> - UIC Hockey: 1980-1996.  RIP.  Thanks Jimmy Collins...   :<
> - TAILGATE XIII would have been 10/26/96. I WAS a big fan.

        I'd go, but I've made other plans. Yet, I wonder just who IS to
blame for all of this. The Athletic Director? Board of Trustees? Collins?
Chancellor? It would be nice to know, so that I'd be able to tell off the
person who deserves it. NO school sports a hockey team and hopes to make
money off of it. If my facts are correct, Michigan just BROKE EVEN last
year...and they are the NCAA champs! It's not like UIC was all of a sudden
losing money on hockey. There must have been a reason that they had a
hockey team in the first place. The UIC Pavilion was built for them (and
the basketball teams) the same time they became Division I and joined the
CCHA.
        Interesting side note...only NOW is UIC starting to promote the
basketball team...and they're predicting a sell-out. If they can sell out
a basketball game with heavy promotion, why didn't they do it years ago?
The hockey team averaged only 200 people less per game last year!!!!
(around 2,500) Great way to utilize the largest-seating collegiate hockey
rink in the nation!

Never forget:
Mike Peron---Lake Superior State
Deuce Wynes---Lake Superior State
Al Dunbar---Lake Superior State (student ass. coach)
Chuck Mindel---Western Michigan University
Tony Kolozsy---Western Michigan University
Adam Lord---Miami University
Kevin O'Keefe---Michigan State University

Have a great season guys....and if your ever in Chicago again, don't
hesitate to come back to UIC to tell all involved in the cruel disposal of
the team to shove it. The team deserved much better....it never helps when
resident students are unaware that we have a Division I hockey team (the
only one in the state), let alone WHEN the games are!!!

Joe Alterio
Sports Director, 89.5 WUIC-FM
(and former hockey writer for the Chicago Flame)