From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 00:11:08 -0400
On 23 Aug 96 at 23:03, Adam Wodon wrote:

> I heard nothing in the teleconference or in print saying the NCAA
> has banned Maine from using its exemptions.  But I can tell you
> definitively what "exemptions" means.

This is true, however the teleconference members did seem confused to
me during the q&a session of how this applied to hockey.  I believe
the question was asked and Swank didn't know and he deferred to Robin
Green who gave a vanilla answer of how it applied to other sports,
but not specifically hockey.

I didn't find the teleconference answer to be that satisfying to me,
perhaps others think otherwise.  All I was saying is what Sue Tyler
told me and that was the NCAA is not allowing Maine in the HEA
tournament, that having to do with the exemptions that Adam explained
very well.

I'm sure more will be available on this in coming days but certainly
the UMaine athletic department isn't planning on going to the HEA's.
I think there is something to be said for that, especially since
hockey exemptions are apparently part of the sanctions (or are they
standard for hockey prohibition?) and they were not discussed at all
during the teleconference.

> It's possible that HEA has already decided but didn't make any
> official announcement.

I doubt this has happened.  First, Tyler told me that they knew this
as soon as the penalties were announced, so her frame of reference is
from the NCAA's ruling, and second with Mike so close to Hockey East
if they made an announcement or even a statement he would have more
then definately reported it.
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine