From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 20:11:15 -0400
*** Page down for Hockey East Prederelictions for 96-97 ***

>>> Wallace Gobetz <[log in to unmask]> 08/21/96 04:13pm >>>
>>> with the rumor of chris o'sullivan signing a pro contract, it seems
>>> as if BU will have an extra scholarship.  they have one to give,
>>> some maine players would really like one.  am I the only one who
>>> sees a logical fit here?

I can seem to understand where all this talk of Maine players going to BU
gets any credence. I would be astounded to learn of such a move. Any
talk in this regard ... that pretends to be serious ... is simply nonsense.
Obvious to me are two simple facts ... 1st) Jack Parker has a list of
candidates already, players he had to turn down this year who could
easily be picked up in time for school. 2nd) B.U. isn't going to admit a
senior who spent three+ years at Maine.

>>> with the departure of both o'sullivan and mike grier (both headed
>>> for the nhl) the terrier's offense has taken a big hit as has its
>>> leadership (leaving only jon coleman, bill pierce, matt wright and
>>> shawn bates as seniors who warrant significant playing time).
>>> what once looked like  a stellar senior class is now adequate at
>>> best.

Hard to believe anyone would refer to a class containing Bates and
Coleman as "adequate at best".

>>> despite the presence of some excellent underclassmen, does
>>> anyone think bu will look to one of the maine stars as extra senior
>>> leadership and talent?

Pulll-leeeezzeee!!!!

>>> BU once looked to be returning with the nucleus that one the hockey
>>> east last year ... yadda, yadda, yadda, <SNIP>

BU will not only survive, but they will dominate and separate themselves
from the pack in definitely a larger fashion than the close race last year.
Their domination will not be due to the fact that they're a better team than
last year, but more so to a decline in the power of Lowell and Maine.

*** HOCKEY EAST 96-97 *** AS I SEE IT!!!

Upper echelon ...

     Boston University - Led by flashy Bates and awe inspiring Drury. This
defensive corp is solid and experienced. I think last year's defensive
lapses will be much less prevalent.

Second echelon ...

    Boston College - Out of the cellar and into contention! Whatever made
Milbury turn and run? If BC continues developing these current players,
they'll be tough to beat in 97-98, even without Taylor. If Taylor gets back
that edge he had, B.C. will definitely be tourney bound. This year will see
some sophomoric proving grounds for a freshman class that scored 39
goals ( 16 by Reasoner ).  Nothing but promise on the horizon, too!

    Lowell - I wouldn't count Lowell out ... they have had an uncanny way
of proving all the predictions ludicrous in recent years. These kids have
been shown ... and some have helped ... what working-class talent and
inspired play can accomplish. I'm not sure they'll avoid "missing a beat"
due to the coaching change, but I'm hoping. Fillion will backstop this club.
They'll be uncharacteristically stronger with defense, but that's what
anchored their oncoming anyhow. Coach Whitehead said he never
would have taken the job if he didn't think this club could contend for a
national title in two years.

   Merrimack - No way that team should've finished last. This year's team
is improved, so I expect this team to contend for home ice in opening
round of playoffs. Like Lowell, success is promised largely due to a
returning high-caliber netminder. Legault could be first team all-star if he
gets some wins. Big loss in Poirier.

  UNH - Definitely a great recruiting class ... but this team is questionable.
I'd let Larochelle back up some new talent. UNH doesn't need to waste
another year going with a mediocre senior. Of course its hard to judge
the goal-keeping with that erratic defensive corps. Look for UNH to
run-and-gun and I bet these incoming freshman Sadowski and English (a
freshman who's 22 in June?) score a few. Souza is another big, skilled
recruit who'll take a little while to adjust to the changes in level of play.

   Maine - I'll admit, after all is said and done, these boys can still play. Ifs
are large though, regardless of present talent. These kids have pride too.
Maine will have strong stretches as well as weak. However, too much
has gone down to keep these kids motivated over 8 months.

Third echelon ...

  Providence - Brenare, Green and the crafty Lake should help this club
win some. But, they've lost too much ... including nearly all of "that magic"
that won them the HE title (all but Dennis).

  Northeastern - Crowder will take a year at least in getting the
Smithy-ness out of his players and installing a Bruce-zing style of play.
Too bad though, Lupo would have been ideal under Bruce ... Shields
would have spent considerable bench time.

  Amherst - Still showing occasional glimpses they'll contend some day.

Standings ...

BU       19-4-1         98
BC       12-7-5         80
Low     14-8-2        78