From:
Nick Heim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Heim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 09:19:21 +0200
At 12:51 18.07.96 PDT, you wrote:
>I saw an interesting article in the Rochester newspaper today -
> Rochester's AHL team has been invited to participate in the 70th
> annual Spengler Cup Holiday Tournament in Davos, Switzerland from
> 12/26-12/31. They are the first profession American team to
> participate. One quote from the article was particularly interesting:
>
>"No North American professional team has played in the tournament,
> which originated in 1923. The representatives
>sent by USA Hockey in recent years haven't been very strong, and the
> Spengler Cup committee wanted to find a more
>competitive team."
>
>I believe that the USA Hockey representative team in recent years have
> been college teams - I think either Princeton or Dartmouth last
> season? Can anyone confirm this?
>
>If that's the case, this is IMHO another example of the disturbing
> trend of USA Hockey dropping college players/teams and replacing them
> with professionals in international competitions.
>
>Chris Lerch
>US College Hockey Magazine

Hi Chris,
Your assumption is not true, beceause last year no american team at all was
invited. In former years there was a team called "USA Selection" wich mostly
consisted of american pro's who played in europe.
Hope this clarifies this one a bit.
regards, Nick
Nick Heim                                   E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Institut fuer Umformtechnik                     CServe-ID:    100021,2172
ETH-Technopark PFA F26                          Phone:   ++41 1 445 13 19
Pfingstweidstr. 30                              Fax:     ++41 1 445 13 25
8005 Zuerich                  WWW: http://www.ifu.ethz.ch/~heim/heim.html