From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 00:29:45 -0400
John Diamond described today's proceedings in the following way:

"I hate to say surreal, because that makes it sound like it's beyond
reality, but the fact we are actually at this point now is both a
relief and a chance to get the University's position out."

I can't really add to that in great length, because it really sums
things up well.  This has been over Maine's head for two years now,
and no matter what happens at least the ball is rolling and things
will finally come to some form of resolution.

I don't anticipate anyone, Maine fan or anti-Maine to be completely
happy with what comes out of this today.  Certainly some feel that
Maine needs harsh penalties, others think that enough is enough let's
move on.

What it is going to come down to is defining the largest problem
area.  Is the problem Shawn Walsh, or *was* the problem lack of
institutional control.  This distinction is key because it holds the
key to any further penalties.

I've outlined this in private to some, but I'll put my theory (which
seemingly proved correct today) out.

The Unversity of Maine's position is that it is this lack of
institutional control which is the largest fault for the problems
involving Maine, including Shawn Walsh.  The University says that
they didn't keep Walsh under a tight reign, and gave him too much
leeway.

Now, Maine has a vastly improved compliance system, a new Athletic
Director who was leading the compliance department at the University
of Maryland, a very large institution in itself.  Maine does cite
that Shawn Walsh made mistakes, and thus suspended him for a year.
They also want to shoulder some of this blame as well, that's why
they say part of the problem is lack of institutional control.

The NCAA on the other hand tipped their hand when they accused Walsh
of "unethical conduct" as head ice hockey coach.  The blame in the
NCAA's eyes coming into today seemingly was to place the blame
squarely on Walsh's shoulders and say that further action should be
taken against Walsh.  They do agree that UMaine lacked institutional
control, but that it was only a part of the problem and that Walsh
acted generally alone and in unethical fashion.

So as you might imagine, those are just two of the opinions, many
people have more opinions than that, but that is why things seem to
have played themselves out over the last few weeks and today.

People ask me, "What do you think?"  I can't possibly know, I'm not
in the heads of these people, but I can tell you a couple things and
I'll let everyone else go from there.

I personally believe that the players on the University of Maine ice
hockey program have been penalized enough, and any further
post-season sanction upon them is a punishment not fitting the
crime.  Maine sat out one year, which was certainly needed but any
further penalty on these players is not being fair, they certainly
can't control the actions of their coach.

There is enough evidence to also suggest two things in my opinion.
First that the NCAA strip Maine of it's 1993 title.  I'm sorry but I
disagree with those who say that Maine should not be penalized for
the neglegance of one mother.  How many people out there don't have a
general idea what their checking account balance is?  How many
parents out there would "forget" to tell their college-aged student
about a $2000 check you deposited into their account?  Sure, maybe
there is an extreme case or two, but not likely to happen often.  Had
Mike Dunham contacted NCAA officials, even during the season.  He
would have been asked to sit out some games and pay the money back
(read: Kerry Kittles this past b-ball season) BUT this issue would be
over.  It's a shame, but the rules are pretty cut-and-dry, you play
with inelligible players you lose your title.

Quite frankly, I'd rather win one the right way myself.

Secondly, there is also enough evidence to suggest that Shawn Walsh
should be banned from coaching.  I honestly feel too close to the
situation to give an opinion, but I see both sides.  I do slide toward
letting him go, because it might serve the best interest of the
program and would also allow a better chance for Maine to avoid
post-season sanction.

As a longtime Maine fan, it would be hard to see him go.  Maine
hockey used to go hand-and-hand with Shawn Walsh, but it has grown
far larger than Walsh now.  He's put together a good staff, who have
still landed top players despite all the problems and negative
recruiting.

With a clean slate at Maine, a lot of top coaches would apply for
such a job as well.  I think a lot of people would be surprised at
the names of people who might apply given the situation.  It took
some convincing for me to believe this, but if you think about it
really Maine (with a clean slate soon) would be attractive for a
coach to come to.

Finally, the end is near.  It might take another season or so to get
by the penalties, or to find a new coach and return to the full
compliment of scholarships.  There is nothing good about this case,
only college hockey fans can take some comfort in that it's almost
over.

---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Administrator:  INFO-HOCKEY-L