From:
Russell Jaslow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Russell Jaslow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 10:17:20 -0400
If this comes to be, in the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "WooHoo!!"

I've heard great things about the new arena, and it should be perfect for
hockey.

Brian Morris wrote:

> One other question: who would be the host team? Cornell?  Somehow I keep
> seeing a reprise of this year's Riverfront Coliseum fiasco, but then I see
> hockey through rose...er cherry colored glasses.

I don't know why in the world you would say this since the arena will also
be used for 41 home games for the Buffalo Sabres (I would mention "and
possible playoff games", but then we are talking about the Sabres).  It's not
like these folks are not going to know how to get an arena ready for ice
hockey.  In fact, there will be a lot more hockey going on in Buffalo than
there will be at the Knick.

It was already announced that Canisius and Niagara (who will be full
fledged Division I by then) will be the hosts.  My question is are the Sabres
going along with this.  It has always been said that the Sabres never
wanted the college hockey competition in what they felt was a small and
limited market.  A lot of agreements were made in the Sabres favor to keep
them in Buffalo.

> I have a feeling that Buffalo might have an inside track, although I'm
> curious how attendance would be.

I think attendance will not be a problem since a) Buffalo sits right in the
middle of CCHA and ECAC territory and b) they are very close to Southern
Ontario where a lot of college hockey players come from.

Russell Jaslow         |      Potsdam College Bears Hockey       |My employer
Eastman Kodak Company  |     **** 1996 SUNYAC Champions ****     |has nothing
Rochester, New York    |Publisher and Editor - SUNYAC Newsletter |to do with
[log in to unmask], 1986 NCAA D-III National BB Champs.|my drivel.
**** Free The Indy 500 -- Institutionalize Tony George **** -----------------