From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 11:18:17 -0400
On Thu, 2 May 1996, Zac Halter wrote:
>> The WCHA is cutting back from 32 to 28 league games for the 97-98 and
>> 98-99 seasons.  This reduction in league games will allow WCHA teams to
>> play more games against both Manakato State and UNO.  Under the reduced
>> league game schedule, each team will choose one opponent to play four
>> times and then draw to determine which four of the remaining eight
>> teams they will play four times each.
>
> The reduction of league games in the 97-98 and 98-99 seasons and choosing
> of opponents ought to be an interesting topic of discussion.

  And how !!!  What criteria would *you* choose to pick your "preferred"
opponent ??  A natural, and long-standing rival (important for gate re-
ceipts and continued alumni giving :-) or perhaps a "lower-tier" team that
you've had continuing success against, and could hopefully use to boost
your victory total(s) (important for NC$$ considerations).  But now that
the NC$$ considers SoS as significantly (if not more so) than mere "wins,"
perhaps this aspect of potential schedule stacking is a moot point.  Will
teams be able to change (should they desire) their preferred opponent
each season (if, for example they're scheduled to potentially meet in a
mid-season tournament like the WCHA-CCHA Challenge) or are they locked in
for a longer period of time ??  And I'd expect WCHA SoS to decline across
the board (compared to the other leagues) if 2-4 of their NC games are
scheduled against newcomers UNO and MKS.  While this is undeniably good
for the long-term growth of the sport, I can already hear the wailing and
gnashing of WCHA teeth should DU, for example, lose out on an NC$$ bid to
a CCHA/ECAC/HEA team with a lower winning percentage but higher SoS.

  As a UNH fan, I have to wonder who coach Umile would choose as a
"preferred" HE opponent should Hockey East ever contemplate an unbalanced
schedule such as the WCHA is proposing.  I expect one team's perception
of another will often be at odds with that of their opponents; Maine may
consider BU their chief "rival," but I'm sure that BU still considers BC
the opponent they (and the alumni) most want to beat.  Mutual antagonism
(in a more/less friendly way :-) such as exists between Wisconsin and
Minnesota is rare in Hockey East; BU-BC is the only one that comes readily
to mind.  I expect this "choosing" aspect of WCHA schedule-making will
make for some interesting strategy sessions in coach/AD offices from
Anchorage to Houghton ....

  Cheers from the Chesapeake - Jim