From:
"Lerch,Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lerch,Chris
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 09:11:19 PDT
Steve writes:

>A D-I school can
>participate in a particular sport at a lower level.  However, it must
>remain in compliance with all D-I regulations (including eligibility,
>etc.), and -- if it does not play a sufficient number of contests
>against other D-I programs in that sport, it is not eligible for
>post-season play in that sport at the D-I level.

Sounds like what the "other six" (UConn,
Canisius, Fairfield, Villanova, Holy Cross, and Iona) D-I hockey
 programs need to do is form their own conference, and play each other
 3-4 times per season, along with perhaps Army and Air Force thrown in.
 That could give them 20 D-I games in a season, thus making them
 eligible for the D-I tournament. While that would seem to violate the
 spirit of the rule, I believe it would be technically correct, as long
 as they all did it - I don't think that games against a D-I school not
 playing 20 D-I games would count.

And wouldn't it be interesting, if, say, Canisius went undefeated
 playing such a schedule - how would the NCAA selection committee treat them?

Chris Lerch
US College Hockey Magazine