From:
Nathan Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 01:07:32 -0500
On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, J. Michael Jackson wrote:

> Nathan Boyle wrote:
>
> >I would not be suprised if we see ESPN2 pick up college hockey to a
> >greater extent next year.  It beats watching cars going around a track a
> >hundred times or more!
>
> On the other hand, I would be surprised.  Given when it would be shown,
> college hockey would have to compete with college hoops, which I suspect is
> far more attractive to the Deuce.  Besides, the example given isn't correct
> from thier point of view.  While I too am absolutely mystified at the thrill
> of auto racing, it is immensely popular.  Thus, I suspect that hockey would
> lose to it, as well.

I would say that is most likely the case.  But where there is smoke there
is fire.  They have been talking about it more this year than before,
which is to say they are talking about it at all.  ESPN has made a
commitment to the NHL, and as I have noted before, networks are used to
pointing out the colleges that players went to.  They like being able to
point to a player coming from a US college.  They may feel that showing
some college hockey might help boost ratings, and build more popularity
if you add the college aspect to the game.  It makes hockey feel more
American, helps break the Canadian feel, (nevermind that most of the
players seem to be from Canada anyway!  :)   ).

More over, as is well documented this year, there is a GLUT of men's
basketball.  They may feel that there is a possible advantage to having a
sport that would fit in when ESPN1, or ABC is programing B-ball.  I am
thinking optimisticly, I admit that, but I can see why a network would
want to look into covering the sport.

If nothing else, putting it on, makes ESPN2 appeal even more people, and
that gets people like us calling our cable company and demanding ESPN2
just that much more.

BTW: If you were watching Dave Letterman tonight, you saw his new set,
and also the BGSU, Men's corus crash the show!  He invited them in after
they sat outside the theater and sang!  They got us a nice little plug!
Four or five of them are regulars in section E of the BGSU Ice Arena!

If only they had got Ay Ziggy Zoomba in!

Nathan W.L. Boyle
BGSU