From:
Leigh M Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leigh M Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 18:38:46 -0500
On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, Steven R. Glazewski wrote:
> My thoughts exactly.  You'd think it would be illegal to carry the puck on
> the end of the stick, much like carrying the ball is illegal in volleyball
> and travelling is illegal in basketball.  This could start a trend!
>
> Steve G

Two things:
1) This is not by any means illegial, provided that the stick does not
rise above the cross bar. This would make it a high sticking infraction,
with the goal disallowed, and a face-off coming outside the zone.

2) The reason that you won't see more of this is that if the goalie reads
the play, it is extremely easy to just knock the puck off of the stick
(barring the use of the football team's stick-em on the tape). In
lacrosse, where the inspiration for the goal no doubt origionates, the
player has a pucket in the stick and can cradle to protect the ball. Any
sort of contact to the stick and Legg does not score a goal. Which would
have been too bad because that was a beauty. Redemption for being stoned
by a prone Blair Allison in last year's eternal semi. I assume that if
this list ever assembled a top 10 save list of all-time that that would
have to rank high. No doubt.

Leigh
Who anxiously awaits the day that the UMass HOCKEY team is talking Final
Four too. There might be TWO Massachusetts towns being painted red Saturday!