From:
"Jason W. Roy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason W. Roy
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 14:50:26 -0600
On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Charlie Shub wrote:

> > Date:         Thu, 21 Mar 1996 13:55:01 EST
> > From: Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject:      WCHA week off
> >
> > What prompted the WCHA switch and have last week off?  Are Woog or Lucia
> > concerned at all about the layoff?
>
> The reason is that the Bradley Center was already spoken for the
> weekend of the 15th by that other sport, so rather than have the WCHA
> tournament elsewhere, the league opted to hold the tourney a week
> earlier.
>
> I can not speak for either coach to represent their concerns or lack
> thereof about the extra week off, but local (colorado springs)
> television player interviews present interviewed players viewing the
> extra time for studies and preparation as a positive.

--Just curious as to why the Bradely Centre would book the rink out at
that time if they have a contract with the WCHA to hold the Final Five
there every other year or something.....Who had the rink booked?
Maybe in future the Bradely Centre should keep regular the Final Five
tourny in conjunction with the other leagues....maybe a mistake was made,
but it should not happen again....Their will be some benefit to some
teams---but to which teams and how much will be determined this weekend...
---CC or UM could be a bit rusty with the 2 week layoff (I know it
usually hurts teams during the regular season-->eg.Tech loss to Northern
after a two week layoff and UND loss to Tech after a two week layoff...
---UND looked awefull... but usually these teams rebound to win the next
night, except with these playoffs- it comes down to one game...
OR
---CC and UM could have gotten rest, that the other conference teams
weren't able to get and could have nursed some bumps and bruises that
other teams weren't able too....also this rest will help them in the next
round...

I guess we won't know the full affect of the two week layoff until after
this weekend or maybe after the NCAA winner is crowned...but it would be
nice to see all four conference's crown their playoff champ on the same
weekend..

Just a thought,

Jason Roy
University of Manitoba