From:
Kim Yeoh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 1996 17:59:02 -0500
>From:    peter martin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Lynah faithful
>
>Maybe some Cornell fan could tell me if these legends are fact or fiction:
>I heard that Schafer really revved up the crowd at Lynah against Harvard a
>couple times.  Once, I'm told, he broke his stick over his helmet (maybe it
>was already broken) as he was introduced in the starting lineup and shook
>the pieces at the Crimson players as the fans went wild

Yes this really happened; as one of them, I can attest to the fans going
wild part!  I think that this was at the start of one of the most amazing
games I've ever seen at Lynah (though I could be mixing it up with another
Cornell-Harvard game) where the Crimson came out and scored 4 goals in the
first 7 minutes, but Cornell came back and won it 6-5.

....another time they
>say he came on the ice with his stick literally in flames, energizing the
>crowd.

I don't remember this and I've been to almost every game since 1980.  Even
if I missed it, I would think I'd hear about it.  But maybe not...

>    Did the crowd really used to chant "Kill, Schafer, kill?"

Absolutely.  By far, one of the all-time favourite cheers of the Lynah faithful.

It's great to be one of the Faithful...
Kim