From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 11:14:54 -0500
Rick wrote (in part) on INFO-HOCKEY-L:

>Editorial comment: it
>seemed that Taylor was trying to sweep check the puck away from an
>NU forward as he circled the net and lost hold of the stick.  He did
>make contact and was able to deflect the puck to the corner. Is it
>an automatic penalty shot if this happens, or does it depend on the
>judgment of the referee as to the goalie's intent?

This happened to Maine once this year as well.  As I understood the the rule
it is automatic.  If the goalie throws his stick at the puck than it is an
automatic penalty shot.

However it is subjective in the sense that the ref needs to believe that the
stick was actually thrown.  By Rick's comments this might not be the case,
but it was close enough so that likely the refs (McBride/Fowkes) could have
believed it to be.  But all Hockey East fans know how those two are about
making the right call however, so go take your pick!  :-)
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
University of Maine - GO BLUE!
Owner/Administrator: Maine Hockey Discussion List
UMaine Hockey on the web:  http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html
---