From:
"Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 1996 11:34:45 -0400
Hello,
Adam Wodon gave us some insight from Coach JOE Battista regarding
schools and upgrading hockey to D-I particularly Penn St., which
is club right now and Villanova which is already varsity.

This could be a lengthy discussion but I'll spare you.

The bottom line is money.  Penn St. just opened a 125 million
dollar building with 16,000 seats for Basketball on campus.
If they chose to they could spend that and more on hockey
and women's hockey and any other women's sport to comply
with gender equity.

Big time basketball/football schools spend money on what
they consider the bang for their buck - gender equity is
the new excuse for the same thing thats been going on
for twenty some years.

Tell me - if a school wanted to upgrade hockey - if they have
the money and its a PRIORITY #1 - then they would do it,
and at the same time they would figure out a way to also
upgrade other areas to stay with or GET INTO LINE with
the equity situation.

What if PennSt. would have spent 120 million for a Men's and
Women's hockey teams and a new rink ?????
No gender problem there.

Coach Cavanaugh
Canisius College