From:
Andrew Rapoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Rapoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:45:21 CST
I guess I'm a little tired of "statements of fact" that are totally
unsupported:

> From:  "Steven R. Glazewski" <[log in to unmask]>
> ...Wisconsin gets some plum bowl bids / NCAA...

What, no dollar signs?

> ...tournament seedings because the powers that be in the NC$$
> realize that UW alumni will turn out in force...

-------------------- NO HOCKEY HERE ----------------------------------
*Wisconsin football "plum bowl bids:"
        1994 Rose Bowl - Tied for Big Ten Conference championship,
    received bid via conference's tie breaker
        1995 Hall of Fame Bowl - not exactly the "plumest" bowl
    game; perennial powerhouse Duke got a bid to this plum
        Before these bowls, when did Wisconsin last go to a bowl
    game?
-------------------- NO HOCKEY UP THERE! -----------------------------

*Wisconsin NCAA tournament seedings (do you mean men's hockey?):
    Here's what I come up with from the archives:

1970    1st NCAA appearance, AT Lake Placid, 4 team tournament
1972    AT Boston, 4 teams
1973    AT Boston, 4 teams
1977    AT Detroit, 5 teams, 1 of 4 teams not seeded 5th
1978    AT Providence, 6 teams, 1st or 2nd seed
1981    AT Clarkson in 2 game/total goals quarterfinals
1982    finally, AT WISCONSIN in 2 game/total goals quarters
1983    AT Wisconsin, 2 game/total goals quarters
1988    AT Wisconsin, 2 game/total goal quarters, 3rd seed west
1989    AT St. Lawrence, 2 game/total goals quarters, 6th seed west
1990    AT Wisconsin, best of 3 quarters, 2nd seed west
1991    AT Clarkson, best of 3 quarters, 5th seed west
1992    AT Providence, 6th seed west
1993    AT Detroit, 6th seed east
1994    AT Albany, 4th seed east
1995    AT Wisconsin, 4th seed west

So, Wisconsin has been seeded so as to play in "the west" only 2
times since the inception of the 12 team tournament, and 1 of those
times was last year's regional IN MADISON!  These seedings are in
line with the committee's goal of allowing "home" teams to play at
"home" (west in the west, east in the east).  Prior to 1992,
Wisconsin played the first round at home in 1983 (national
championship year) and in 1990 (another national championship year).
They also played the first round at home in 1988 against U Mass-
Lowell, a 6th east seed:  I don't know the specifics, but I would
guess that Wisconsin at least deserved to be seeded higher than
independent bid Merrimack (6th west, a shifted seed); I don't know
about how they stacked up against Bowling Green (4th west) or
Michigan State (5th west).

I don't think the record reflects any bias toward Wisconsin at all.

Now, how about that public retraction regarding your unsupported
accusation that Coach Sauer is running the Wisconsin program into the
ground?  Remember, you're talking about a hard working person's
livelihood here.

Andrew Rapoff