From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 1995 14:39:43 -0500
Arthur Berman wrote [on INFO-HOCKEY-L]:
>The difference in this game was a soft goal given up early by >Tom Noble
when he inexplicably stared at a slow moving puck >until UNH put it in.

Mike Machnik replies:
>I know some people didn't see the game...what happened was >that Mowers went
1 x1 with a BU D and tried a backhander but >whiffed.  He was still able to
get off another backhander, and >he didn't miss the second time.  This goal
put UNH up 1-0 and >was the first goal scored in the new rink.

Mike is confusing Mowers' first goal with his second.  The first was caused
somewhat by miscommunication between the BU defenseman and Noble.  Mowers was
able to sneak around the defenseman and take a poke at the puck and put it
behind Noble. This goal put UNH up 1-0.  After BU came back to tie, Mowers
second goal was one that he probably would not have been able to score last
year.  This year, bigger and stronger,  he was able to maintain body position
on the BU defenseman and get not one, but two swipes at the puck.  After the
first swipe, Noble was back on his heels and, as a result, Mowers had most of
the right side of the net to shoot at.  His slow roller trickled in and came
to rest just inside the goal line.  Both goals were great individual efforts
on his part.  Is it too early to say . . . Hobey Baker ?

Greg & Karen Ambrose
and, visiting from Maryland . . . Jim Love.
GO BLUE!!!