From:
Peter Kester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Kester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 13:21:28 -0400
Lee> [description of new tougher fighting rules in WCHA deleted]
Lee>
Lee> I have a hard time with this logic.  I know that there is a lot
Lee> of people who say that there is too much violence in hockey.  But
Lee> if you think about it, these rules change the face of hockey.  By
Lee> implementing these rules, you tie the arms of teams that are big
Lee> and physical.

Physical != fighting

I believe that fighting has no place in hockey and applaud the WCHA
for making the sanctions against fighting tougher.  I do enjoy
watching physical hockey, however.  I don't think that these rule
changes will "change the face of hockey" as good clean physical play
is still allowed.  It takes more skill to deliver a bone crushing
check than to simply drop one's gloves.  I'd prefer to emphasize skill
including good hard hits than goon tactics.  Just MHO.

Pete Kester