From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 10:36:00 EDT
I wrote:
> > Although there have been exceptions, Jim Carey is one that has been
> > mentioned and Tim Regan (who went to RPI) is another, there can be
> > no doubt that in recent years the cream of CM's crop has almost
> > always gone to BU.
Sean Pickett responded:
> I must also dispute that BU has almost always gotten the best CM
> players in recent years.  Looking at the players from CM
> year-by-year:
>
> [snipped - list of players who went from CM to BU]
>
> I personally don't think that several of the CM players were the
> best players at CM, altough I am glad most of them attended BU.  I
> think that the 4 players in 1989-90 and the thre last year are the
> big reasons people are now thinking that BU has some 'pipeline' from
> CM, but what about the years that only one, or no players attended
> BU?

In the years that "only one, or no players attended BU" it may well be that
those were the only CM players to go Div 1.  Some years CM has multiple Div
1 players and overwhelms their competition.  Other years they have no or only
one Div 1 seniors and still win a state title because in those years some
teams can match their first line, but no one can match their second, and third
lines.  Coach Bill Hanson has referred to some year's championships as being
special because they had no "overwhelming horse" to ride to the championship
and it was only by virtue of every single player contributing that they got it
done.

A classic example is last year.  I'm at a loss to know who the "Brendan Walsh"
was who was listed as a CM grad last year since he isn't on either their
93-94 or their 94-95 rosters.  But other than that mystery, their top seniors
were defenseman Steve O'Brien and forwards Joe Gray and Joe Savioli.  I thought
that O'Brien intended to go to UNH, but I'm quite sure Gray and Savioli have
not gone Division 1.  I believe they're playing juniors in the midwest in an
attempt to get to Div 1 next year.  So the fact that BU got no one from CM
this past year or only get one CM player in a given year really isn't
significant.  What is significant is that BU seems to be getting (my estimate
now) over 70% of CM's Div 1 talent.

> If in another year or two another three or four CM players all attend
> BU the same year I may have to change my mind, but for know I am
> remaining firm in my opinion on the matter.

I'll make a prediction that when this year's sophomore class graduates,
there'll be multiple Division 1 players in it.  Since Jason Urquart has left
CM (this would have been his senior year), I fully expect last year's
freshmen Ryan Cordeiro and Brian Sjostrom to lead CM's scoring as sophomores.
Having watched them for the past few summers, I'll predict now that if they
don't make Division 1, it'll be because of pros or injuries.  Nothing less.
And my money will be on BU.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson    "Robo"     [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!      Go Canucks! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!      Go BU!!         Go Maine! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*