From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 13:49:44 -0400
Luiz Valente writes:
>>Posted on 19 Apr 1995 at 12:28:19 by Mike Machnik
>>An increased athletic presence leads to interest in the school...from
>>prospective students, donors (alumni and otherwise), the community,
>>etc.  When you look at it that way, it makes sense to put money into
>>areas that will do the school the most good - because a winning
>>football team, for instance, often leads to more research dollars,
>>better salaries for the other employees, etc.
>
>"Research dollars" have absolutely nothing to do with a winning football
>team, but with the quality of research projects, and the reputation
>of the faculty member and the institution. With all due respect,
>Boston College won't turn into a major research university simply because
>it has a nationally-ranked football team.

Directly, I agree it won't.  But a winning football team may lead to
more donations to the university, which means more money available for
certain academic programs, which could mean an upgrade in faculty and
research capabilities and the ability to attract research contracts...if
that's what the school wants.

Anyway, the point is that athletic success can result in more funds
for the school to have for academic means than they would have had
otherwise.  And I believe that is a good thing.