From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 10:09:00 EST
No one seems to be saying it, but IMO the NCAA
has more egg on its face than it knows what to do
with.  The Eastern officials calling the Michigan-
Wisconsin Western Regional game completely
blew the rules regarding coincidental minors/four-
on-four play at least twice.  From some of the post-
game comments that were posted, are we now to
understand that the ECAC/HEA has interpreted the
rules differently than the CCHA/WCHA ALL SEASON!
Nice going.  I can't sit back and blame either the
East or the West, because they both obviously felt
they were correct.  However, it would SEEM that the
NCAA would at least check to see if the new rule(s)
were being interpreted/applied correctly.  Is that
too much to ask?  (So, maybe the refs didn't blow
it in the Mich-Wisc game...but they sure shocked
both coaches with the interpretation.)

(Fwiw, I thought the Eastern officials called a good
game as far as handing out penalties.)

On a related topic, Paul Duffy (NCAA rules big wig, I believe)
was interviewed between periods of the "NCAA Productions"
telecast (Mich-Wisc) and made it very clear that the
NCAA will not tolerate the four division I conferences
using different officiating systems.  OK.  Is everyone
going back to the one referee/two linesmen system?
I don't think so...which leads me to believe the NCAA
is planning to force the CCHA to revert to the atrocious
2-1 system.  Can they do this?  Will they attempt to do
this?

I'd welcome shootouts in the CCHA faster than the 2-1
system, and I HATE shootouts.

Lastly, the NCAA Productions telecast of the Mich-Wisc
game wasn't all bad.  The announcers (never heard of
either of them) must have some financial interest in the
DCC, because its greatness was the topic of 60% or more
of the conversation.  And, it was interesting to hear of
Michigan's new lineup featuring Brandon (Brendan) Morrison,
Mark (Mike) Knuble and Ron Socka (Sacka).  But, overall,
they did an OK job and having the opportunity to see the
game on TV was fantastic.  My favorite gaffe was when
they referred to UM's Steven Halko, who recently was
named the CCHA's Best Defensive Defenseman, as the
WCHA Defensive Player of the Year.  I spoke with Steven
yesterday and congratulated him on sweeping the award
in both Western conferences. :-)

John H
U Mich
The funniest even of the weekend though had to be on
ESPN2 when the camera picked up Hockey-L's own
Erik and Paula Biever and the announcer proclaimed
(presumably in reference to Erik's hat), "What was that?
WHAT was THAT?!"  Erik...I hope you were taping this.