From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 20:27:47 -0400
I have mixed feelings about Martins performance this year. He is, IMO,
the most talented offensive player in the league; his combination of
playmaking skills, grit, speed, agility and shot are probably as good
as anyone's in the country. He's also one half of the best penalty
killing duo in the league, with Tom Holmes. On the other hand, he
never has been able to keep his temper in check, much to the
detriment of his team. Harvard was able to survive it over the past
two years because other players could come through when he was in the
penalty box or coach Tomassoni's doghouse. The Crimson don't have that
luxury this year, and Martins doesn't seem to recognize it.

In his defense, every team in the ECAC knows that the way to beat
Harvard is to beat the hell out of Martins. He gets double-teamed,
held, hit after the whistle and yapped at more than any player I've
ever seen; in part, because teams know that he'll retaliate. Each time I've
seen Harvard recently, the game has followed a predictable pattern -
Harvard comes out flying, can't finish, the other team gets on the
board because of a defensive zone breakdown, and the Crimson start
to panic. Martins starts trying to do everything himself and is either
successful, or winds up losing his cool. It hasn't helped that at least
two defenseman have been hurt at almost anytime this season and that
two freshman (McCarthy, Hyland), a converted forward (Briestroff),
an inexperienced junior (Marett) and a 'tweener (McLaughlin, who played
D and F throughout high school) are key members of the defense.
Never mind the fact that team morale and chemistry are at an all-time
Crimson low.

So although I think Martins is a great player, and I love to watch
him at his best, I'm not sure I would vote for him as an ECAC all-star
this season. It will be interesting to see if the coaches look past
his 'subpar' numbers. My guess is that the list of coaches who are
willing to give a Harvard player the benefit of a doubt when it comes
to an all-star vote is a short one.

Geoff Howell
The Trenton Times
Drop the Puck