From:
James Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 09:52:07 -0500
Deron Treadwell writes:

>How can one expect Kariya to duplicate the numbers he put up in college
>(25-75--100 in 1992-3) in the NHL?
> . . . .
>You get some people with some hands, and
>Kariya will put some some great numbers.  Not everyone comes into the NHL
>being labled "the next Gretzky", but these things take time.

I hope this doesn't mean that you think Kariya is Gretzky's equal!  Kariya is

good, but he's not THAT good.

You're not helping Kariya's reputation by suggesting that his (alleged) lack
of
impressive NHL stats is the fault of his teammates.  There are many players
who
can score lots of goals with the help of good teammates.  There are a few who
can score lots WITHOUT much help.  Gretzky is one of those.  According to
what you claim, Kariya apparently is not.

Keep in mind that I've only seen Kariya play twice.  I'm just drawing my
conclusions
from your defense of him.

While we're on the topic of NC$$ vs. NHL, what are the essential attributes
of
a good NC$$ player?  Of a great (or even good) NHL player?  There must be
SOME
difference, or every good NC$$ player would end up as a good NHL player.

Comments?

James