From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 18:54:32 -0400
The 1993 NCAA Ice Hockey rules state:

(Rule 4, sec. 7) a. A goalkeeper shall not be sent to the penalty
bench for an offense which incurs a minor penalty ....
b. If a goalkeeper incurs a major or misconduct penalty, the
individual shall serve the time penalty; but a substitute
player in goalkeeper's equipment shall be allowed in the game ...

I suspect that this rule has not been changed.

Tony Buffa inquired as to why ECAC teams don't seem to
get respect in the polls.

A) The ECAC is perceived as the weakest of the four DI
leauges. Based on past inter-conference play and postseason
performance, this supposition is not unfounded. As of today,
however, I believe the ECAC is at .500 against non-conference
DI teams and only below .500 against the WCHA. I saw the numbers
in Joe Bertagna's press packet at the Beanpot, but, alas, forgot
to get a copy for myself. Princeton's win over Maine and some
other out-of-conference showings have been impressive, but
Brown recently lost to UNH and Providence. Those type of
inconsistent results don't help.

B) The overall records of the ECAC teams are not particularly
impressive, in part because the league is so unpredictable.
Vermont 6, RPI 1. Princeton 9, RPI 1. RPI 3, Brown 0. RPI 7,
Clarkson 1. Clarkson 11, Princeton 2. St. Lawrence 8, Vermont 5.
Vermont 10, Dartmouth 1. I'm not sure who I'd vote for, either,
other than Clarkson.

Geoff Howell
The Trenton Times
Drop the Puck