From:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 1995 21:03:18 -0800
Unfortunately CC's Saturday troubles continue, as they fall to the Gophers
7-4 for a split this weekend.
  The first period started off with a Minnesota power play just 30 seconds into
it, when 1 Gopher and 2 Tigers got penalties.  (This brings up a question
related to the Tech-North Dakota one a few weeks ago....at first the announcers
said it would be 4-on-3, which is what I thought after discussion here, but
then it turned out to be 5-on-4, which also occurred early in the third from
the same situation.  Why was it 5-on-4 instead of 4-on-3?)  Justin McHugh
scored the power play goal at :47 to give the Gophers the lead.  A few minutes
later Jason Gudmundson put in a ppg of his own for CC to even it up.  Later
in the period, Brian Bonin got a goal, which I believe was his 100th career
point.  Also during the first, the linesman (Campion, I think) got cut by a
stick and was bleeding pretty badly.  He was taken down to the training room,
and Greg Shepherd, who was there observing, came up to the booth to talk with
announcers and said that if needed, he did have his equipment in the car and
could come on as a replacement.  However, the game continued with just the
two referees and later the linesman reappeared to finish the game after getting
stitches.
  Dan Woog scored a power play goal in the second to increase the Gophers' lead
to two.  CC came back to tie up the game again, with Calvin Elfring finally
getting his first collegiate career goal, and a minute later Geronazzo scored
his second of the series, shoving the puck in under Callinan's leg.  The
turning point of the game came towards the end of the period, when Geronazzo
got a major, for checking from behind I think, and Minnesota was able to
capitalize twice and regain their 2-goal lead, with Scott Bell putting one
right between the pads of Lambert and Justin McHugh getting his second goal
of the night when he dove towards the goal to push the puck in as Lambert was
trying to make the save.  They interviewed Jay McNeill (who was held to only
one assist for the weekend) at intermission, and he said one of the main
things they need to work on is discipline and to stop taking stupid penalties,
like last week in Wisconsin and tonight.
  Early in the third it was yet another Minnesota power play, and this time
Ryan Kraft scored to increase the gap to 3.  The Tigers finally managed to get
another goal, a quick shot from Tim Sweezo that hit the net so fast I'm not
sure Callinan really saw it.  The Gophers sealed the win, though, when Bonin
got his second of the night for a final of 7-4.  After the game, I turned on
the radio, and they were listening in on Lucia's press conference, and it was
said that they were considering making a goaltending change, but decided to
leave in Lambert, as Bach was still a little sore from his shoulder popping
out last night.
  Next weekend the Tigers return home to host St. Cloud in a Fri. evening/Sat.
afternoon series.

Karen Heasley
Colorado College '95
[log in to unmask]   *  [log in to unmask]

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere
 in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
 - Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes 11/9/94