From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 1995 10:45:20 -0500
I think that those of you who have seen Slap Shot will get a kick out
of this.  First, some background:

1) Remember early in the movie when the Chiefs are getting blown out
and as they come in the locker room in between periods, the French
Canadian goalie is so shellshocked, he is still flapping his arms and
legs to stop imaginary pucks.

2) Last night, Merrimack lost to Lowell, 9-0.  My wife Heather helps
out with some of the stats for Merrimack, +/- and faceoffs.  Last
night was quite a crazy game for her with almost every Warrior taking
a draw and 9 goals against being scored.

3) Heather sometimes talks in her sleep.

OK.

Last night about 3 am, I get awakened by the sound of her talking to
no one in particular: "They don't work out...I'll never get these
stupid numbers right...where's Michael?"  Then she pulls the covers
over her head.

At times like this I like to talk back to see what she'll say (oh
yeah, also to make sure she's all right), and I figured she was having
a dream about something work-related, although I didn't know why I was
involved.  So I leaned over and asked her what was wrong, and she said
(still asleep): "The stats!  They don't work out!  Too many faceoffs!"
or something like that.

And I could not help but think of our goalie friend from Slap Shot.
Heather was so shellshocked last night, she was still keeping stats
from that game at 3 am.

BTW, I do have permission from her to post this.  She couldn't stop
laughing when I told her the story this morning (and of course she
could not remember it).