From:
lesley bricker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
lesley bricker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 1995 12:27:38 -0500
John-last year,BG was still being coached by Jerry York who is currently
coaching BC.York had a great run at BG,but like many other long term
coaching,it was time to get a new face in to change things around.BG had
bad records the past few years and it was time to move on and see if
things could change.York is a great coach,but honestly,I know for a fact
that most of the guys did not particularly enjoy playing for York.I've
talked to a few guys this season who left BG in the past year or two and
they have all said"Why couldn't Buddy Powers come to BG while I was
there?"I know of one guy who is currently playing for BG that was going
 to join his pro team (that drafted him) this summer because he no
longer wanted to play for York.Then he found that York was going to BC
and Powers was coming back to BG so he decided to stay for his final
year.I'm not going to mention this guy's name,but if York was still here
and this guy had left,there is no way whatsoever that BG would be where
they are today.In order for a team to be complete,they have to have a
coach that they enjoy going in to play and practice for.Powers gets along
great with his players and that is the big change for this year.He is a
"players coach" and that is what was needed.Powers deserves coach of the
year and I'm confident that we will all see BG in the NCAA tourny for the
first time in years,and BG will have their first Hobey Baker award winner
since George McPhee won it.

Holzinger for Hobey Baker!

                                                         Alex Bricker