From:
Larry Latour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Latour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Dec 1994 10:38:17 -0500
Maine was beaten at their own game last night.  The following is a
reprint from the Bangor Daily News, Saturday/Sunday, 12/24/25
(merry Christmas Tigers):

Princeton ends UM hockey unbeaten streak

by Pete Warner
of the NEWS Staff

ORONO - Princeton University coach Don Cahoon decided that the logical way
to beat the University of Maine hockey team is to play like Maine.

Thus, the Tigers formulated a suffocating defensive game plan that took on
a decidedly Black Bear flavor.  Princeton limited Maine to 19 shots on
goal, ending the Black Bears' 20 game unbeaten streak with a 3-2 victory
Friday night in the championship game of the Dexter Hockey Classic at the
Alfond Arena.

Princeton, which has not lost in its last eight games, improved to 9-5-1.
It was the Tigers' first tournament victory since 1968, the last season a
Princeton team finished better than .500.

In Friday's consolation contest, Tim Loftgard scored 1:55 into overtime to
lift Colgate to a 7-6 victory over Acadia University of Wolfville, Nova
Scotia.

Coach Shawn Walsh seemed to take the loss in stride.  After all, the Bears
are still 15-1-5 heading into a brief Christmas break.

"Rather than be so disappointed with the loss, I'd rather give credit to
Princeton," Walsh said.  "They really worked hard and played a Maine kind
of game.  I also give credit to our players for taking college hockey 21
games to beat us."

Princeton defenseman Brent Flahr was selected the tournament Most Valuable
Player, notching a pair of assists in the title contest, which was played
in front of 5,027 fans.

Maine defensemen Jeff Tory and Chris Imes received All-Tournament
recognition, as did forward Dan Shermerhorn.  Also chosen were forward
J.P. O'Connor of Princeton, Colgate's Loftsgard, and Tigers goalie James
Konte.

Princeton developed its game plan after watching Maine play at the Great
Western Freeze-Out a month ago and seeing the Bears again Thursday against
Acadia.

"I can't begin to tell you how happy this club is right now," O'Connor
said.  "Coach came into the room with a plan that tried to clog everything
up and lock on to a few of their wingers who were blowing out of their
zone.  It appeared to work well."