From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 1994 21:13:25 EST
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Gentry
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>I don't think performance would matter to a newspaper reporter, especially
>if the Globe went through the trouble of sending one to Maine.

>The Globe itself is not biased towards Maine (there is an article about
>Chris Imes in today's Sunday Globe).  Now, as for one of their columnists....
>Do I really need to name him???

Huh? The argument was that The Globe is biased AGAINST Maine, not towards
Maine.

>I think the lack of coverage was mainly due to the distance between Boston
>and Maine.  For college hockey, the Globe usually likes to stay around Boston,
>unfortunately.

Again, I'm confused. In the first paragraph you imply a reporter WAS sent
to Maine, but in the immediate above paragraph you say a reporter was NOT
sent to Maine because of the distance.

Anyway, a team's performance DOES affect coverage it's assigned by the
media, whether it be local, regional, or national. Readers don't care
for teams that are doing poorly or not up to expectations. Now, I don't
read the Boston papers, but I can bet that if Boston College was ranked
high in the polls and Boston University was stumbling, BC would get
a lot more coverage than BU.

Ryan Robbins               "Nothing in fine print is ever good news."
University of Maine                                  -- Andy Rooney