From:
John Kohlstrand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 20:39:22 -0500

>huge community support (BG has only 38,000 residents including 17,500
>students) and the games serve as a jumping off point for a night on the

In my days at The BG News, I wrote a story in which student/townie population
figures were crucial. The 1990 census showed almost 29,000 residents, about
half of them students. The rest commute from outside town.

>town.  I am in a position to know that BG students are not generally farm
>boys or lower middle class however.  Cleveland is biggest recruiting
>area, followed by Franklin county which for those of you who don't know,
>is home to Columbus, and OSU. These are not little towns.  Now we do have
>a lot of people from smaller cities, and suburbs around Dayton, and
>such.  But on the whole BGSU is a middle to upper middle class
>University.  It is in a farm town, and it is home of the National Tractor

It was by no means intended as a diss when I described a bulk of Bowling
Green students as having grown up in rural or working-class circumstances.
And, yes, it is true that Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) is the number one
feeder for Bowling Green students. But, I think if you could compare
Bowling Green's student composition to many universities, it has a strong
working class and strong rural component. Miami, for instance. Or Michigan.
Maybe Notre Dame, too. It's certainly more working class than nearly any
school in the two east coast conferences. And it also lacks the history of
many of these schools.

Bowling Green is the least-expensive true residential school in Ohio, and I
think that has an effect on who goes there. E-mail me if you would like
to continue this discussion.

>Oh well if you read all this I hope it was both elighting, and
>educational, and perhaps a little entertaining.  But in any case I hope

Its nice to see that the traditions I learned when I was there continue
strong. Thank you for this post.

>AY ZIGGY ZOOMBA!

Ah, yes. Ay Ziggy Zoomba, baby.

--
The Chronicle. Elyria, Ohio, USA                John Kohlstrand, staff writer
[log in to unmask]         [log in to unmask]