From:
lesley bricker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
lesley bricker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 10:52:36 -0500
Carol-Things haven't changed a whole lot since attending your last BG
game.Although some of the fans now enjoy seeing an opposing player get
brutally hit into the boards,they still applaud when an opposing player
gets up after being injured.This is one of the things that I think makes
the BG fans the one of the best in the nation.I watched BG play at Ferris
St. last weekend and I saw something that the Ferris St. fans did that
disgusted me.When a BG player would get injured and stay on the ice,the
Ferris fans would count to ten and then say "you're out" as in a boxing
match.Then they would applaud themselves and high five eachother.Then as
the BG player would get up, the only fans that I saw applauding were the
BG fans that made the trip.I believe the key to a good bunch of fans is
to be totally faithful to their team, but to also give respect to the
opposing team.If you want to see this,attend a home BGSU hockey game.They
are loud,rowdy,and obnoxious but at the same time respectful to the other
team when respect needs to be shown.One of the things that bother me
about some of the BG fans though,is that they use one of Michigan's
"special" cheers.When I say "special",I mean a cheer that you can only
find at one arena.At Michigan,when a player from the opposing team gets a
penalty,the Michigan fans say"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh",and then "see ya!" as the
player gets into the penalty box.I saw BG fans repeating this cheer in
some form or another since last season and it bothers me.That is
Michigan's cheer and not ours.BG fans should in no way,shape or form use
this cheer.I could maybe see the fans using it when Michigan plays at BG
just to annoy the Wolverine fans,but not at any other time.BG has a few
of their own "special" cheers and I know that we would be pretty pissed
off to go to another arena and find them using our cheer.
 I guess what all this is supposed to mean Carol,is that all in all,BG
fans are pretty much the same as you last saw them.Why don't you attend a
game and see what's changed since you left?The arena added on seats since
you've been gone and it's just great.

                                                        Alex Bricker

Brian Holzinger for Hobey Baker