From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 13:26:19 EST
Alan Harder wrote:
> I agree.  I would like to point out, however, that Michigan works very
> hard to recruit out-of-state and Canadian players, as well as in-state
> players.  I'm not sure they would be as much of a national power if
> this were not the case, especially since UM has to share the in-state
> talent pool amongst the likes of Michigan State, Western Michigan,
> Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan, and Michigan Tech.  Is there
> another state with as many highly regarded hockey programs as
> Michigan?

Well... yeah.  Massachusetts has Boston University, Northeastern, Boston
College, Merrimack, UMass-Lowell, UMass-Amherst within its borders.  UNH and
Providence are barely outside its borders and arguably feed on the same talent
pool.  In fact, one could argue that Maine is the only Hockey East member that
is not within the Massachusetts sphere.  And even Maine gets a lot of Mass
players.  I don't have their roster this year, but from last year's roster you
can find 8 Massachusetts players: Andy Silverman, Dave MacIssac, Mike Ray,
Chuck Texeira, Tim Lovell, Brad Mahoney, Cal Ingraham, and Trevor Roenick.
And you can definitely add Jamie Thompson for this year.

DaveH