From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 1994 08:46:14 -0500
Perrault is out for 3 games, since he got 2 DQs (he was
given *2* fighting majors). He is BG's best defenseman.

One DQ means you sit out the next game; upon getting your
second DQ, you have to sit out 2 games. 1+2=3. Most people
take a larger chunk of the season between DQs! He will miss
games with MSU, Michigan and Notre Dame.

It is the referee's decision, of course, but instead of singling
out 3 people to get 4 fighting majors, I would have given
everyone 4 for roughing. They were all doing the same stuff:
pushing, jabbing, grabbing opponents. He ended up dishing out the
original 2 for slashing to one UND player, and then a pair of
fighting majors to two others. The only BG penalties went to
Perrault. BG's Johnson should have gotten something, since he
hit the "mad slasher" in the face as soon as the whistle blew.

The Toledo TV station had its camera running and the reporter
told me (after reviwing his tape) that Perrault not only wasn't
the big BG boxer (Kelman threw more punches, for example), but
that he *didn't even throw one punch.* That's what he said, but
I wasn't paying that close attention.

I figure you have to virtually take someone's head off to get a
double fighting. I've never heard of one before in college
hockey. Perrault definitely didn't do anything to deserve a
double major, IMHO.

Just to further clue you in on how "in touch" the ref was last night:
after the altercation, he sent UND D DalGrande off the ice, to
the lockerroom, but then preceded to *not give him a penalty.*
We waited around a bit for DalGrande to come back, but I suspect
he was already in the shower. So, they dropped to puck without him.

Overall, a very poorly reffed game.

After the brouhaha, BG scored a power-play goal, so the final was
indeed 7-1.

Lost in all this is a good win for BG, stretching its league lead
to 3 points over MSU. Also, BG frosh D Lamarre played in his first game
and looked VERY good. He was on the ice for 2 BG goals. Looks like
he'll be filling in for Perrault until Nov. 19.

Keith