From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 1994 23:43:33 -0400
When I posted The Hockey News' college previews I forgot to
mention the publisher's letter in regards to the NHL lockout.
THN intends to continue publishing throughout the labor
dispute.  I quote "Our mandate is to cover the entire hockey
world, not just the NHL."  I guess it only seems like their
mandate is to cover the NHL.  ;-)  The letter continues that
depending upon the length of the NHL shutdown they may be
forced to re-evaluate their plans, but at this time the will
publish weekly and "...provide coverage of the more than 10
other leagues we follow closely for you."  I take this to imply
that THN will increase its coverage of the AHL, IHL, ECHL, WHL,
OHL, QMJHL, and the four Division I US college leagues.  Of
course I want to see the NHL resove its problems ASAP and start
play, but if the stalemate continues we may see more and better
coverage of US college hockey in THN.  I, for one, would love
to see THN increase its coverage of the college game.  I hope
that the increased coverage of college, major junior, and minor
league hockey will increase the interest of hockey fans, and at
least maintain the current circulation of the paper.  It may
even lead to maintaining the increased coverage of these
leagues after the NHL finally starts playing hockey.  I hope it
does.  :-)

Sean Pickett     -     Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East
Champions!