Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 1994 08:44:35 EDT
     It's summertime,  so if I could please indulge in elaborating on a point
already discussed,  the purists will kindly forgive me ....

     Let's just say,  for purposes of illustration,  that a school hands
out only full scholarships.   Then,  through an unfortunate *accounting*
error  --  or the untimely employment of BC math  --  promises a total
of 20 scholarships for the upcoming season.   Promises them in writing.
(Having gone to Tech,  I never did trust those liberal arts schools.:-)

     Let's also say that only 2 of the 20 are promised to incoming freshmen.

     The team,  as I understand it,  has spots open for 18 scholarship players
and X number of non-scholarship players.   Why not let the two freshmen (if
they want to) compete for one of the 18 scholarship places on the team?
I had thought that was commonly the situation in football in Div. 1-A.
Don't most schools at any given time have several scholarship players
redshirting in football?   What I'm interested in knowing,  is there a rule
that prevents this?

     In any event,  I agree with Hendrickson on several aspects of his
proposed punishment of abusive institutions.   I don't know about a ban on post-
season play since that hurts the players,  but forfeiture of post-season
revenues (beyond costs),  fines,  compensation to the victimized players,
and allowing the players to go elsewhere w/o having to sit out a year
--  would all seem justified.

     -- Dick Tuthill