From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 1994 23:42:21 -0400
The following article appeared in the 7/28/94 Lawrence (Mass.)
Eagle-Tribune, no byline.

ANDOVER MAN TO SUPERVISE HOCKEY EAST REFEREES
"A fixture in amateur hockey for years, Brendan M. Sheehy of Andover
 [Mass.] has been named supervisor of officials in Hockey East,
 succeeding Dana Hennigar.

 Sheehy, a 1971 graduate and former assistant hockey coach at
 Merrimack College, was selected for the position by Merrimack Athletic
 Director Bob DeGregorio, commissioner of Hockey East.

 'I coached in the Andover Youth Hockey system for the past seven
 years and (Vermont hockey coach) Mike Gilligan and Sid Watson,
 chairman of the NCAA Rules Committee, told me the position would be
 open and encouraged me to apply,' said Sheehy.

 'My kids are almost through youth hockey, and I wanted to get back
 into the college game.  I know all the coaches and most of the
 referees, and I think Bobby was looking for someone who could relate
 to both of those groups.'

 A sales representative in the sporting goods industry, he stopped
 officiating to spend more time with his kids in youth hockey.

 He looks forward to his work as head of the Hockey East refs and the
 challenges the position presents.

 'It's the premier league in the country.  The coaches are excellent,
 they're good men.  I'm looking forward to working with them to try and
 make it a better game,' said Sheehy.

 'My first priority is assigning games for the current year.  My
 second is to try and recruit more officials.  With UMass in the league
 now, it's another home game and I'm going to need at least two more
 teams of officials.  Presently, there are nine referees, and my goal
 is to have 14.'

 Sheehy's list of credentials includes officiating stops with the ECAC
 and the Eastern Mass. Hockey Officials Association.

 As an assistant at Merrimack from 1973 to 1978, he served under
 legendary coach J. Thom Lawler and was part of the 1978 NCAA Division
 2 National Championship team."
END

I believe this completes the new administration in HE.  Earlier, Tim
Burton was named HE PR Director.  Burton's office is in the Volpe
Complex at Merrimack, right near DeGregorio.
<<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (station TBA for 94-95) >>>>>